If you know the difference of coffee variants, you may want to know how to make a latte. On the contrary to what people believe, you don’t always have a coffee machine to create a tasty and refreshing latte.
If you know how, you will learn to make your own foam without the expensive machine. And even without the machine, you can still create a beautiful and tasty foam without hassle.
Cappuccino vs Latte Differences
A lot of people think that cappuccino and latte are just the same and they are made from the same ingredients and with the same methods. Despite the similarities, those two are quite different. So, what are the differences?
First of all, a latte is a coffee-based beverage that is made from steamed milk, espresso, and also milk foam. While the cappuccino is almost similar, it has a bigger percentage of the foamed milk.
Moreover, if the cappuccino turns out to have tons of steamed milk, then it may be closer to a latte instead of a cappuccino. We’re talking about ratio and percentage here.
When you have to make the coffee at home, you can be flexible about the whole percentage – and you can make your own tasty beverage without hassle or fuss – and even without the machine.
Whatever types of drink that you want – and whether you are serious about learning how to make a latte – the key base for the drink is the espresso. Without espresso, it would be difficult to make your favorite coffee.
Espresso is coffee that is using steam pressure to brew it so there will be water forced through the grounds. The result is oily, rich, and intense – acting as a balance for the milk quantity.
Of course, there are machines that can help you make the espresso. These machines will save you from hassle of having to do everything manually.
But then again, not everyone has the budgets to buy the machines. In the event that this happens to you, then there are other ways and methods to make a high-quality latte.
Coming up with (Your Own) Milk Foam
If you have the budgets, feel free to buy the fancy and expensive foamer to make your own latte. However, if you don’t have the machine, you can still make your own milk foam.
Choose a nonfat milk or 2% milk and pour it into a jar. Shake it until it gets foamy. Remove the lid and then put the jar into a microwave. Leave it for only several seconds.
By the time you are done, you will get your own foam (thick and creamy) that can be easily poured to the latte.
The Simple Recipe
Here is how to make a latte without using the espresso machine – or any other machines. The main ingredients are:
- Nonfat or 2% milk
- Cocoa powder for the garnish. You can skip it if you want to
The steps on how to make a latte are:
- Make your own espresso – or use the espresso machine that you like or want. It is up to you. It is advisable that you make a strong one if you do want to create something tasty. The best one isn’t diluting it with any water
- Make the milk froth. Pour the milk to a jar – it should be a halfway. Once you close the lid, shake it for 30 seconds to 60 seconds. The milk should be frothy and it should also be doubled (in volume).
- Put the milk in the Remove the lid and let it inside the microwave for 30 seconds. You will see the foam rises
- Add the milk to the espresso. When you pour it, use a big spoon for the milk foam and pour the milk. The spoon will prevent the foam from getting mixed to the espresso
- Once you have add the milk, spoon the foam. Add as much (or as little) as you like. You can also garnish it with the nutmeg or cocoa powder.
There are still other handy tips to make the beverage tasty and nice – and add some of your personalities.
For instance, if you want to flavor your latte, add some syrup. You can add the syrup along with the milk to your espresso. And then add the foam.
The decision for the sweetener or flavor is up to you. You can use the honey or maple syrup – they will definitely make your coffee taste delicious and different.
Don’t be afraid to try different kinds of flavors – you will see that the results are different from one another. Then you can decide which one you like.
You can be creative – using almond extract or vanilla (just a teaspoon) will be tasty. Use your imagination and be free.
Now that you already know the basic of how to make a latte, you should be able to come up with your own creation and recipe.